Thursday, October 7, 2010

Different Learning Styles

There are three main types of learning; visual, auditory, and kinesthetic/tactile learning. Each of these can affect you as mathematics student depending on your teachers style of teaching. A visual learner does better if they are given written notes and equations, if they have a easier time reading their notes to study for a test, or if they find the different graphs and diagrams in their text useful. Visual learners are the most common and have a pretty easy time learning. An auditory learner is someone who retains information once they have heard it and find it much easier to understand written information it is also verbally explained by a teacher. Many auditory learners prefer listening in class over taking notes and having verbal instructions then written instructions. Kinesthetic/tactile learners are the least common. They learn best if their study sessions have small breaks and they have a hard time explaining a problem when they know they know how to solve it, and they have a hard time understanding problems until they solve them themselves. I am a mixture of all three. If I see the notes and solve the problems along with the verbal notes I usually understand the topic. Once I understand a topic in math class I have a pretty solid grasp on it and continue taking notes while drawing pictures and diagrams for myself. It can become pretty difficult depending on the learning environment for myself to grasp certain aspects in math. I do not particularly care for written notes without someone explaining them thoroughly and me doing them myself and getting the correct answer and knowing how. Sometimes depending on the teacher and how they teach I don't have the opportunity to have all of these elements while I am trying to learn and it causes issues in my brain and I become overwhelmed and have to try again. I usually have to try and teach myself or try other problems in my own time just to make sure I have a complete hold on the topic we are learning in class.   Sometimes I need help and have to go to the teacher for help to explain the notes again so that I can hear it again and it makes more sense. When I study I cannot just re-read my notes I have to re-write them or highlight the important information. I usually re-write formulas or equations so that I can visualize my notes and what I wrote while I am taking a test so that I do not draw a blank or lose my place. When I take tests I would much rather a test be in the order of my notes rather than all over the place because it is easier for me to retain information and re-use information in the order that it was given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive